Search

Custom Search

Monday, January 13, 2014

Double Tree By Hilton, Breckenridge Colorado Part 2

Walking to and from dinner and ski rentals appeared to be a festive time. Apparently the entire town and tourists are reveling in some fire god festivities. Celebrations, fun and excitement clog the narrow sidewalks and spill out of bars and restaurant’s. So what if it’s only 11 degrees, the cold never bothers them.

I woke up early the next morning to conquer the first tracks event. First Tracks is only offered to those staying in "on resort" hotels. By six-thirty am, the valet had returned my skis and I was eating the free continental breakfast provided to Gold and Diamond members. The buffet offers oat meal, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, muffins and Starbuck’s Coffee in abundance.

The Double Tree provides a shuttle to the .1 mile distances to the lift chair. Though I thought I had dressed properly, I quickly learned that 12 degree temperatures and blustery snow filled wind would prove too much for this southern boy. The lift carried me for 15 minutes from 10,000 feet to 12,000 feet through bone chilling extremes. I kept thinking about images from the movie about climbers with skin frozen black by arctic temperatures as they descended the Eiger Mountain in Switzerland.

By the time I skied down, my fingers felt so numb and cold that I couldn’t get them to do what I wanted. I took off my skis and went into the resort restaurant to thaw. All the while the pain was so great that I swore to go back to my room and quit.

After about an hour, I felt better and humbly went to the pro-shop for advice. They did all but laugh at my gloves, and offered me a set of gloves that they guaranteed would keep me warm. I also bought a face mask and goggles to replace my skull cap and Under Armor sunglasses. That did the trick and allowed me to continue skiing for several more hours.


The ski slope offered two restaurants only obtainable by lift. Plenty of food and warmth provided to reenergize for the ski trip down to the valley below. I recommend the chili in a bread bowl and the good strong and most importantly hot coffee.

Be sure to not only dress properly for the ski trip, but make sure you have the right transportation. My Kia Soul did not perform well in the snow. Traffic backed up behind me as I continuously lost traction during my slow ascent of the mountain leaving Breckenridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment